How to Stop Wishing and Start Writing; a How to for...Anyone!


What makes someone a writer? The simple answer is: “They write.” Not a sexy answer, but true. 

Usually when I tell people I’m a writer, I get a few of the same responses:

-I wish I could do that.

-I wish I had the time.

-I wish I was creative.

-Stop playing, I thought you was illiterate!

My answer is always, “Stop wishing and go do it,” (and stop calling me illiterate).

You can “do that.” Anyone can write. If you have fun with it. If it makes you a better person. If it makes someone else a better person. If it’s a stress release. If it’s any or all of the above then do it...WRITE! You don’t have to be a Pulitzer Prize winner to be a writer. Do it because you love it. 

You wish you had the time? How do you have time for anything else you do? You make time! Use a planner, a vision board, Google Calendar, iCal, an abacus; I don’t care—use something to schedule consistent writing time. You’ll find your skill level grow congruent with consistency.

Creative? Oh please. What does that even mean? Most of what I crank out for my first drafts could be seen (and smelled) as a petrified flaming turd that should never see the light of day. But if I’m having fun, am intrigued, or think I’m on to something I’ll stick with and work on it and refine it till it’s something I feel comfortable sharing with controlled groups of people, refine it some more, then send into the world.

Have fun, start writing, express yourself, b*$%h-slap the naysayers, and do what you were born to do (whatever that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment