Turning a "No" into a "Yes"



So I’m writing this post as I’m on my way out to The University of Washington, Bothell. to do The Gospel According to Josh, along with with a presentation on suicide prevention. This is the 48th time I’ve done this combo presentation in a little less than 2 years. 

Why am I telling you this? Because it’s important to remember the genesis of this project...that only 22 months ago, whenever I presented my idea and my show/suicide prevention combo to schools, universities, and suicide prevention organizations; I either go no response at all or a big fat “NO.” 

No, we don’t know what to do with you
No, we don’t have the money for your programming 
No, non, nyet, nein, geen, όχι, 没有, لا, קיין, nope.

Whomp, whomp. 

I was stuck...I mean, I knew had an awesome idea that a few people were on board with and I knew my idea had already helped people...but no one seemed to care.

So what did I do to get unstuck? I did some serious self-analysis and started asking myself questions like this:
  • Why did that person tell me no? 
  • Does their “no” lie in the presentation of my idea/offer? 
  • Is it a terrible idea/offer? 
  • Is it an idea/offer that needs tweaking or more infrastructure? 
  • Is my offer/idea presented to the other person, keeping mind their wants and needs? 

After asking myself these questions, I started tweaking my offer/pitch and the infrastructure of my idea. From there I figured out how to approach people with this idea, keeping in mind I need to talk about in way where I present it as a solution to a problem.

WIIFM (108.7...What’s In It For You?) 
  • If you have a really cool and valuable idea or offer and it’s shot down, keep in mind that a “no” is really a “maybe” working toward a “yes.” 
  • Keep working on your idea/offer. Tweak it and then strengthen it. 
  • Do a little research and development on your idea/offer. See if there are other people out there doing similar things as you. How are they successful? How have the failed? Interview them if you can. 
  • Work on the way you pitch your idea/offer. Who are you offering it to specifically? How does it solve their problem or need? Why should they take a “risk” on implementing your idea/offer.
Keep persevering. A “no” isn’t the end of the world. It’s an opportunity...to grow, to learn, to develop oneself, to change the world. 

1 comment:

  1. yup. great. great. takes serious tenacity an "thick skin".

    ReplyDelete