The i'Mpossible Project …According to Gerardo Bambu (7)

This is the seventh edition of The i’Mpossible Project: A series where anyone can share a personal story of inspiration or an event in life where they overcame tremendous odds. Everyone has a powerful story to tell and something to teach the world. (See HERE for guidelines on how you can write for The i’Mpossible Project.) Here we have Gerardo Bambu with "A Brief Ode to Fatherhood ."

--

There is absolutely no better feeling in the world for me than that of being a father. My name is Gerardo Bambu, a transplant from Panama now living in New York City. I am a proud twenty-six year old father and husband. Each day I strive to give the best—all of me—for my family and the people whom I love, especially for my baby daughter, Saraii. 

Before discussing the topic of having children with my wife, I couldn’t even fathom how incredibly rewarding it is to be a father… but I also had no idea how much work it would be. When my daughter was just a few weeks old, I would stay up late for early morning feedings or to calm and hold our crying baby. This alone made me realize that it takes an incredible man to take on the responsibility of fatherhood. 

I see my daughter, Saraii, develop in beautiful ways that my eyes can barely believe. She giggles over things that an adult would never think was funny. Her smile makes me realize how precious it is to spend time playing with her. Taking care of her, bathing her, changing her, and being there for her matters more than even making millions of dollars (though that would be nice to have too).


She's now walking at a fast pace and I find myself trying to keep up. Days with Saraii turn into months and I see myself growing emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. She runs towards me as I come through the front door after I’ve spent a long day at work, and all my problems and issues melt away. With a kiss from my wife and a hug from my daughter, my heart is filled my heart and I feel like a complete person and man. I am a parent and I'm proud to be one. I’ll continue working to become the best father I can be regardless of the amount of mistakes that I’ll make along the way. I have to figure it out… for Saraii. 
--

Why is this "The i’Mpossible Project?
Inspired by Josh Rivedal's book and one-man show The Gospel According to Josh: A 28-Year Gentile Bar Mitzvah. Gospel (non-religious) means "Good News" and Josh's good news is that he's alive, and thriving, able to tell his story and help other people.
On his international tour with his one-man show, he found incredible people who felt voiceless or worthless yet who were outstanding people with important personal stories waiting to be told. These personal stories changed his life and the life of the storyteller for the better. 

Josh's one-man show continues through 2015 and beyond and he is looking for people in all walks of life, online and offline, to help give them a voice and share their stories with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment